Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Weight Loss Surgery

I'm not sure if I'll add a separate blog for this, but I do want to write about it.

I'm planning on having an off switch installed: a Realize Band, which is like the Lap Band. It's a laparoscopic surgery in which a flexible silicone band is wrapped around the upper portion of your stomach. It has a similar effect as the gastric bypass surgery, Roux-en-Y, but is significantly less invasive.

Anyway, I have been attending some support groups as I research the procedure and have been learning a lot about life after the band. For instance, you should not use straws. Using a straw to consume beverages causes you to gulp air into your stomach and to consume too much too quickly. The net effect is to stretch out your new little stomach into the flappy Hefty bag your old one was. Not so helpful in the realm of weight loss.

However, my friend Katy, who is super supportive and helpful made the suggestion to try using a coffee stirrer sized straw. You can't suck in that much that fast with it, right? I adore Katy because of the great person she is, but for some reason the thought of me sipping a huge glass of iced tea with a teeny coffee stirrer cracked me up! I immediately envisioned myself popping a vein in my eye from the brute strength of the suction required to imbibe!

One of my other hobbies (i.e., time wasters) is to draw cartoons of myself. I like to use one of those South Park do it yourself sites and then paste the pix into backgrounds that I make myself. Needless to say, me with a ghastly red eye was the perfect concept for a drawing!

My dear Katy, thank you for being my muse!





1 comment:

Katy said...

Hooray for South Park characters! What better way to try out the bangs look? : )

You're welcome. I'm more than happy to inspire funny cartoons. : )