Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My latest pet peeves

I have two in the forefront these days:
  • cell phones
  • people who whore out their children on local TV commercials
I recently started upping my exercise and one way of doing that is skipping the shuttles that run from the buildings to the parking lots. I like the quiet time to think and reflect, not to mention the calorie burn. But I see some weird things on these walks. Many include cell phones. The number of people I see trying to smoke, dial and steer is on the rise. Lovely!

And I had my first Girl on a Bike on Her Cell. This was not a serious bike enthusiast. No spandex togs and pointy helmet. She probably could have used a helmet as I'm surprised she didn't fall off and crack her head. She was steering with one hand and holding the phone to her head with the other (kid, you go to Vanderbilt. Daddy couldn't get you a bluetooth headset??). The real fun began when she attempted to turn the corner! It's hard to lean into the turn with one hand out of the game. Somehow, as she wobbled around, she managed to tuck the phone between her ear and shoulder to two hand manage the handlebars. Of course that left her seriously off balance and she nearly toppled off. I really need to remember to carry my camera in my pocket when I walk to the car! Some of this stuff you gotta see to believe.

As for the other pet peeve, I don't know if this is common in all local television markets or just Nashville, but it seems that all the ads for small, local businesses like to include their families in their commercials. Like it all started with that Watson's guy and his daughter. I thought that she was just a model and then totally got creeped out when I found out she was his child! Eeeew! But something just gives me the willies when I see the furniture peddling teen or the scary singing replacement window tween. Ick. All you did was guarantee that I would not buy your product. Too creeeeepy.

No comments: