Sunday, September 20, 2009

2009 Walk from Obesity

I wish I could have done more to help the crew who organized this year's 2009 Walk From Obesity, but like I've said before, it's been a rough summer for me. Dog personality clashes, recovery from weight loss surgery, oh and then the joyous adventure that is Bandster Hell. I tried to go to a few meetings, but I really had nothing left to give in terms of assistance.

I did drag my sorry ass out of bed and go, though!

I was part of Team Vandy and was motivated to go because I was promised some quality time at lunch with some pals after. Who am I to turn down socialization? Sheesh! So I went.

I'm glad I did. I got to meet a friend from the TN board, Trina. I really enjoyed talking to her and wanted to spend more time with her. But by the time I got back from our loop around the park, she had left. I'm waiting for a friend to pass me her info so we can talk more. She has a huge heart and is a great woman.

I brought along Map and Tuesday to the event. Jack was home, distracted with a piece of bully stick. Sometimes I am very happy he's easily fooled with food. It makes it much easier to sneak the gals out without a whine fest from him. NEEDY MAN!

They had a great time meeting people and getting/giving lots of Corgi Love. Map found a stinky spot and spent much time rolling in it on her back. I had to laugh because her undercarriage was dingy with dirt. It's been raining for about a week solid and her poor dragging belly fur was taking a hit from the muck.

The girls had a great time on the walk and started out quite strong. They trotted side by side and were sooooo good!

Photobucket

We got about 2/3 of a mile before Map started getting tired. We went from a trot to a stroll to a please carry me! She held out until we got to the west side of the lake where the geese were. We found a bench and I let her recover and have a little water. Tuesday was romping at the pigeons, hoping to snag one. But she couldn't get very far because she and Map were tethered together. Map wallowed in a mud hole, loving the cool mud on her filthy belly.

Eventually we got back up and finished the mile. Map is now a certified Nashville Park Volunteer--she was the official street sweeper and did a great job of cleaning the leaves and other detritus from the walking path!

Photobucket

You can see her little skirt swishing in that action shot and the pile of leaves and twigs it has collected! Oh, Map! You're so funny!

I'm so proud of how good they were, though their stamina is not what it should be! It wasn't even that hot. So obviously they need a bit more exercise. But they did well and I love 'em! They crashed the rest of the day and were both actually a bit stiff from the workout. Tuesday has been doing a lot of stretching and yawning.

I enjoy the loop at this park and it's kinda making me want to drag the mafia there on weekend mornings for some good exercise. Maybe someday we can work up to a few miles! Then we'll be ready for the hills and loops of the Warner Park!

No comments: