Monday, August 31, 2009

I'm exhausted!

But the exhaustion is well earned.

I have spent the past three days working in the house, especially on getting the dog room converted into the dog room.  It had been my exercise room, initially, but after I dragged my elliptical to my bedroom, it became a junk room.  I'm sick and tired of the clutter and the stress clutter brings, so I decided to get off my duff and do what I've been talking about doing for ages.

Here's what the room looked like initially:
before1

Yeah, one phone call away from ending up on Hoarders on A&E (oooh, new episode tonight, too!).  Here's another angle:
before2

I started clearing out garbage on Saturday and made decent progress on Sunday.  By the end of the day yesterday, I was down to a pile of dog stuff and a pile of relocated kitchen stuff.  All the paint, tools, etc., went to their homes out in the garage.

In a fit of inspiration while walking through Target, I realized that one of those cube type holders would be a great thing.  When I was sorting through the dog stuff, I was like, I have a bunch of different collars, a bunch of training stuff, etc.  Seeing those bins, a light bulb went off. A bin for collars and leashes, a bin for training supplies, a bin for grooming supplies, a bin for treats, etc.  PERFECT!

So I got that, assembled it and then, because I found some in the garage, put it on casters.    Now I can roll it around (it's not the sturdiest structure on the planet) to sweep behind it to get at the inevitable floating piles of fur.  And it's off the floor, so if Jack happens to hike on it, it won't be soaking in urine.   He'd better not, though.

Here's what we have now:
after4

And a view of the corner . . . that table will go upstairs (I just didn't have the energy to drag it there myself) and my grooming table will go there.  I have a cabinet in the garage I plan to paint black and will put that under the painting on the left, to get more stuff out of sight.
after2

Here's a view of the far wall:
after3

And a view of the cube shelf and crate.  
after1

I met my goal of having it done enough to put Millie in it when I go to work tomorrow.   Her massive 4' x 4' x-pen is out of the living room. She has a big sized crate to sleep in at night, and a whole room to goof off in during the day, where she cannot see Map and get angry about it.

This weekend is Labor Day weekend and is gloriously free!  No plans at all!  So the next step for this room is to paint it (already have paint and all the supplies in the garage) and then to rip up the carpet, seal the concrete slab beneath it, then put down stick 'n peel tiles.  

Once that's done, I can move in the grooming table and my living room will look mostly like a living room!  GO FIGURE!

No comments: