Thursday, April 16, 2009

We love Jane!

I had lap band surgery on the 6th (see my other blog).  I'm doing a pretty good job of taking it easy and allowing myself to heal.  But my grass was getting high.  The neighbors on either side are twice a week mowers.  I'm once every week (um, or two!).  I don't mind taking care of the yard, but I certainly can't yank the starter on my mower to get it going.  Plus when my grass is semi-tall, it stalls on mulching mode. Which means I have to start it about 2539038 times.  It took me nearly two hours to mow my yard last time because I'd go two feet, it'd stall on the tall grass, restart, go two feet.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

My good friend Jane from work is such a champ.  She has come to visit twice since my surgery. First time she brought by a bunch of magazines (spurring my replace grocery spending with magazine spending) and the second time we went for a walk with two of the mafia kids.

I had asked her for the number of her yard service to see if I could get someone to come cut my grass.  She sent me an email the next day and actually volunteered to do it!  I feel bad for accepting her offer, but I did take her up on it.  In return for watering her tomatoes when she and her hubby go on vacation.  Hee hee.

She came by after work and nearly scared the piss out of me!  I had left the door to the garage ajar in case she came when I was in with the dogs.  That way I could hear her.  But I had been in the bathroom, came into the dining room and screamed like a girl when I saw her standing there!  Oh, it made my pork hurt from laughing after I quit screaming!  Funny!

We got the mower out, topped off the gas and she went at it.  And of course, it stalled about 30 times.  I didn't mind her helping with the yard, but I didn't want her to throw out her shoulder starting the mower 100 times!  Jane, always the good sport, said that it was just going to make her arms buff.

After about the 30th stall she asked if there was the chute thingie to make it push out the grass.  I had it in mulch mode, where it chewed the grass up a few times and just dropped it in place.  Oh Lord, have you seen my garage?  I'm sure I have it but who knows where.

We stood in front of the garage and lo and behold after about 2 minutes, Jane found it!  I bet she's good at word search puzzles.  It only took a minute of tinkering before she figured out how to attach it.  And once that was done, all went well!  It only stalled maybe 3 times after that.  Yippeee!

Of course there was grass everywhere!  After nearly having to strangle her with an extension cord to keep her from weed eating, I did agree to let her clean up the grass off the sidewalk and driveway. We started out sweeping but the grass was too wet.  Eventually we opted for the leaf blower.

Again, I felt bad because I felt like she was doing waaaay too much. But she claimed to be having fun, especially once she was dashing up and down the walk blowing away the grass like she was shooting at annoying people in the lab!  I must admit it looked like she was enjoying it.  And it all looked good, too!

I'm just grateful to have a friend like Jane--she's such a great person and so thoughtful to help out when her friends are in need.  Plus I just want to state it publicly that she is always guaranteed a free ride home from work when her hubby's car is in the shop!  ALWAYS!

Thank you, dear Jane!!!

No comments: